Interview with Author Nancy Springer

Today Inkweaver Review presents an interview with Nancy Springer, author of the Enola Holmes series, which is currently being reviewed here on Inkweaver Review.

Meet Nancy Springer

"Conform, go crazy, or become an artist." I have a rubber stamp declaring those words, and they pretty much delineate my life. Conforming was the thing to do when I was raised, in the fifties. Even my mother, who spent her days painting animal portraits at an easel in the corner of the kitchen, tried to conform via housecleaning, bridge parties, and a new outfit every spring. My father, who was born into a British-mannered Protestant family in southern Ireland, emigrated to America as a young man and idolized the "melting pot" because at last he fit in. Once in a rare while he recited "The Ballad of Reading Gaol" or told a tale of a leprechaun, but most of the time he was an earnest naturalized American who expected exemplary behavior of his children. My mother was a charming Pollyanna who would not entertain negative sentiments in herself or anyone around her. As their only girl and the baby of the family, I was coddled, yet hardly ever got a chance to be other than excruciatingly good.

Inkweaver Review is moving to a new web address. Please read the rest of this interview at its new address:

Interview with Author Nancy Springer

Your Rating:
Inkweaver Review 2009-05-28T10:00:00-05:00

33 replies so far. What are your thoughts?

Aywren said...

This was an amazing and inspiring interview! Thank you so much for the time put into this and for sharing!

It's really interesting to hear how writing could heal a person when a slew of medicine could not. Just shows that the human spirit can't be caged.

NathanKP said...

Thanks for commenting Aywren. I'm glad that you enjoyed my interview with Nancy Springer. I certainly found it to be inspiring as well.

Writing is a powerful, creative force that allows a person to release many emotions at once. In that way it can be a very healing process to write a book, story, or poem.

LuAnn Rohr said...

I just finished I am Morgan...
I decided at that very moment to go out and get anouther book by this great author only to find that the book store (well known) has none of her books in stock. NONE! So, we drive across the busy intersection to the other well known book store to get one of her books. They, too, have no books by this author. What gives?

NathanKP said...

Some of Nancy Springer's books are rather old and are now out of print. Your bookstores should at the very least, however, have the latest "Enola Holmes" series. This series is not only new but is also very popular.

It's strange that they didn't have any books by Nancy Springer at all.

Anonymous said...

I remember "The White Hart" and "The Silver Sun" -- I enjoyed Nancy's fantasy novels very much. I was working in a Walden's bookstore back then.

Nice interview, and an interesting life story!

Donna

NathanKP said...

Nancy Springer definitely does have an interesting story to tell about her own life. It is just as interesting as the novels that she writes. I am grateful that I had the chance to interview her.

Thanks for commenting.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for a wonderful interview with an amazing writer. Unfortunately, the link to Nancy Springer's official website, at the bottom of the interview, takes me to a page called "Home Furniture Ideas." Kind of funny, but nothing to do with Nancy Springer. Something amiss?

NathanKP said...

Sadly it appears that Nancy Springer stopped paying for her domain name and a furniture company snapped it up. Either that or she was hacked. I have removed the link.

Thanks for letting me know.

LisaWik said...

On the web hack/misdirect-If you type into your browser "www.nancyspringer.com" you can still get there, though my browser sometimes takes me to the furniture link that is technically ".net" instead of the .com.
Thank you and Nancy both for the wonderful insights into her life and writing-as a forty-something woman who grew up an army brat-moving 21 times by the time I was 16-I grew up in a household where I was expected to behave and do well in school. I was so afraid to make a mistake or disappoint someone! I also spent a great deal of time alone or with adults, with an absent father and a mother who wanted to be a good wife and homemaker, but who also was desperately lonely for home and her large extended family. Now I know why I so identified with Nancy's "The Silver Sun" and other early works-we were coming from similar places, personally, and craving the same things-a fantasy world where you could have a friend/brother/relationship with someone that was deep, meaningful, and loving. A place where love was possible, where good had a real chance against the evils in the world (ok-I am a Vietnam War army brat, and my dad flew Huey helicopters-we had a lot of neighbors on base that did not make it home). To this day I still go back to that book for a comfort read, when dealing with my daughter's chronic illness has taken it out of me for the day, the world of Isle wraps its' magic around me in a warm embrace, and it feels like home. Thank you Nancy, for having the courage to make such wonderful characters out of your own pain and needs, for sharing a part of your soul and letting it fly free, spreading its' wings so it could roost in someone else's empty tree.

NathanKP said...

Okay, I fixed the new link. It appears that she moved her website from nancyspringer.net to nancyspringer.com

Thanks, Lisa Wik, for sharing your thoughts on how Nancy Springer helped you.

Anonymous said...

Thanks, you helped me with a project!!! I love your work!!! -kakes

Anonymous said...

THIS WEBSITE ROCKS!!!!

Anonymous said...

I'm serious, you seriously helped me!!! PS The case of the left handed lady is my favorite book of yours!!!

Anonymous said...

I LOVE YOUR WORK, YOU REMINDED ME THAT THERE IS A DETECTIVE INSIDE OF EVERYONE!!! -KAKES

Anonymous said...

this totally helped me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

You R so totally awesome, i worship you at church!
- Elmer

Anonymous said...

Hello there, i come from another planet! -Elmer

Anonymous said...

Hi, u rock!

Anonymous said...

In library, we have to do a project on our favorite author, guess who i chose........YOU nancy spriger you are so cool!

Anonymous said...

i didnt choose you but your books are great

Anonymous said...

Do da Dippity!!!

Anonymous said...

i aam doodling, i am singing, i am reading this blog!

Anonymous said...

i need more sci-fi books for my av group! Please help!

Anonymous said...

I QUITE LIKE YOUR BOOKS< OOPS MY KEYBOARD IS ON CAPs lock!!!

Anonymous said...

i whip my hair back and forth, i whip my hair back and forth!

Anonymous said...

facetious

Anonymous said...

your
books sound good. i have never read them but i hope to in the future

Anonymous said...

hi im Elmer

Anonymous said...

This website is totally rad so supah coooooool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

tee hee tee hee

Anonymous said...

I wanted to thank you for this excellent read!
! I absolutely enjoyed every bit of it. I have you book marked to check out new things you post…

Here is my blog post: pure garcinia cambogia

Anonymous said...

I’m not that much of a internet reader to be honest but your sites really nice, keep it up!
I'll go ahead and bookmark your website to come back down the road.
Cheers

Here is my page :: activate windows 7

Anonymous said...

Many types of prescription testing tips are possible for
diagnosing drug physical or mental abuse. To arranged images concerned with your slide,
you has the potential to choose since PowerPoint's movie art catalogue or work a photo or visual of your amazing own.
It's indispensable to spend it clearly as closely.

my web blog software youtube; dummy.com,