“The Ice Cream Con,” by Jimmy Docherty

“The Ice Cream Con,” by Jimmy Docherty is the story of a boy who decides to do something about the crime in his neighborhood.

When Jake gets mugged and loses all of his grandmother's food money for the week, he decides that he needs to do something about that crime that is running rampant in his housing project. Jake and his friends invent an imaginary gangster that they name Big Baresi. By starting rumors and placing stickers that say “I'm watching you. - Baresi” Jake and his friends manage to convince others that this crook is real. Soon though, the situation snowballs out of control when two local gangs enter the scene and a stash of stolen diamonds surfaces. Will Jake be able to keep up the deception of will he end up in trouble for the crimes of an imaginary crook?

“The Ice Cream Con” is a simply ridiculous book. Jimmy Docherty was obviously aiming for humor with this junior read but the result is just foolish. The escapades of Jake and his friends are terribly over played and completely unbelievable. In the end “The Ice Cream Con” comes across as idealizing a life of crime. I would not recommend this book to any reader.

Inkweaver Book Rating:

★★★Plot

★★Characters

★★Presentation

★★Overall

Your Rating:
Inkweaver Review 2009-08-23T14:46:00-05:00

13 replies so far. What are your thoughts?

René said...

I truly enjoyed reading this book. Loved the language used and the plot. I had to laugh out loud a few times reading it. I hope there is more to come!

Anonymous said...

This book is stupid and only losers post about it i was lookin for a summary on each chapter for schoool

Anonymous said...

This book is alright not the best. Is a little funny but as a unique idea overall. I too was looking for a summary on the book though to help me at school

Anonymous said...

Anonymous said...
This book is stupid and only losers post about it i was lookin for a summary on each chapter for schoool

complete jerk just because this book may not appeal to you does not mean that it's bad in retrospect i rather agree with René, it was a fun and entertaining read, that at points had me burst out laughing in my english class, and anyway, you were just commenting on the chapter summeries, do you even have any idea what really went on in the book?

bb said...

this book was very good

Anonymous said...

this book is the stupidest piece of crap i have ever read.

my name is Andrew Ronald said...

i loveeeeed <3 this book my friends think is awsomeeeee <=) i got a boner for it and my boyfirend thinks it its amasing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Andrew Ronald again said...

i Think anyone who think this bok is stupid should fight me i have blond hair im five foot 4 and i live in sacramento california and i go to el camino fundamental high school me and my boyfriend will take you dogyy stlye woff woof!!!!

Andrew Ronald said...

I nutted Really hard to the first page it looked like this 8=====>~~~~~~

Andrew Ronald Again!!!!!! said...

me and my sister did it well u kno <;=) and my boyfriend joined in threee ways are so much FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Andrew Ronald said...

YEa me and my boyfreind saw a scrap a dum sewer smelling siranio walkind down the street me and my norteno buddies jumped him i love 8===> and my mom's 8===>

andrew's mom said...

andrew what are u doing on the computer get off before i slap u with my 8========>

anonymoua said...

this is gay as hell