“Rules,” by Cynthia Lord

Book Cover Art for Rules by Cynthia Lord“Rules,” by Cynthia Lord is a touching story about a girl who must change her attitude about what is “normal” and learn to appreciate her autistic younger brother and a surprising new friend who is confined to a wheelchair.

Like most other twelve-year-olds Catherine wants to have friends and live a fairly normal life. Unfortunately, neither of these goals seem obtainable. Catherine’s autistic younger brother David always seems to chase off potential friends. When other girls learn about Catherine’s brother they treat her differently as well. Catherine’s parents tell her that if the other girls can’t accept David then they wouldn’t make good friends anyway.

But Catherine still wishes that her brother was normal.

Inkweaver Review is moving to a new web address. Please read the rest of this book review at its new location:

Book Review of "Rules" by Cynthia Lord

Your Rating:
Inkweaver Review 2009-08-05T14:07:00-05:00

26 replies so far. What are your thoughts?

Jeanne said...

I like the words Katherine gave Jason. That made the book about more than just disability, for me. It became partly about her ability to imagine what it's like to be him, which is part of many girls' adolescence.

NathanKP said...

The way I looked at it was that it was a way for Catherine to share her own life with Jason.

Interestingly the words that she gave Jason were more based on her own life and experiences than they were on Jason's. So she shared words such as "guinea pig" to tell him about her pet. When she was angry and depressed she shared words like "murky," etc.

To some extent the words were a way of imagining what it was like to be him, but it was also a way of her telling him about herself.

It isn't until the end of the book that Catherine really accepts Jason's disability. Even when she made the "together" card more than three-fourths of the way through "Rules" she drew Jason without his wheelchair. She still didn't want to face his disability, just like she didn't want to face her brother's disability.

So in the end, it seemed to me that facing disability was the main theme of the book. But she faced disability by imagining what Jason's life must be like.

Thanks for commenting Jeanne.

Anonymous said...

I thought this book was a good book because this can relate to anybody who has a brother or sister with autisim and they shouldn't feel embarrest about that. They can always go back and look at this book and see how Catherine handled the sittuation.

NathanKP said...

Good point. Cynthia Lord uses "Rules" to show readers healthy ways of coping with autism. I think that many young readers with disabled siblings will benefit from reading about Catherine.

Thanks for commenting.

Anonymous said...

I guess I liked it. It was very interesting. So I decided I would use this book for my book talk. I know if someone with an autistic sibling would relate to Catherines feelings. They would love it!

Anonymous said...

I love this book. rules is about catherine, a 12 year old girl whos brother David has autism. She trys to teach him rules we take for granted. Like dont pull your pants down in public. She is loyal to him, though he gets on her nerves. Wishing he was a normal boy. Though, she loves him with all her heart. Plus Jason she meets has a disability too.

Anonymous said...

what instrument does jason use?

Anonymous said...

I love the book!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

i liked it but i cant figure out my question for school reading list

sourpatch said...

^hahaha your comment is going to be deleted!! :PP

Anonymous said...

I love this book Lol!

Anonymous said...

I love this book,.........

NOT!!!!!!!!

just kidding!!
LOve this book!

Anonymous said...

this book is gay

''nickki'' said...

i have this book ... i thought it was very funny best book ever :)

Anonymous said...

I think the book is sad that Jason is in a wheelchair and her brother has autism.

Anonymous said...

LOVED THIS BOOK!! It will teach anyone who is having a hard time with life how to handle it.

Anonymous said...

ine if my friends read this but she told me it was funny and really good

Anonymous said...

I was forced to read this book by a teacher to tell it to you straight it sucks!!

Anonymous said...

this was a very good book

Anonymous said...

whats the theme of the booK?

Ann said...

I was a great book. My friend and I had to read it for a book report and I loved it.

Anonymous said...

jason's instrument is a gutiar

Anonymous said...

I'm doing this book for a book report and I need to know Jason's spirtual believes. Any ideas?

Anonymous said...

ok this book is awesome and i would like to say all of your comments were very amazing to read but......your reviews actually helped me with my homework! thx Nathankp

Anonymous said...

I loved this book. can anyone tell me some words you thought were hard in this book?

Anonymous said...

what was some of the main conflicts becaus ei need to do a news article on this book any suggestions??