“All's Well that Ends Well,” by William Shakespeare

“All's Well that Ends Well,” by William Shakespeare is a play about a young woman who finds a way to marry a rich lord, but is not loved by him.

A Complete Plot Summary

“All's Well that Ends Well” begins by introducing the main character Helena, a young gentlewoman who is not of noble birth, but has fallen in love with Bertram, a Lord. Helena is living in Bertram's household under the protection and employ of Bertram's mother. Needless to say Helena's romantic attachment seems doomed, but Helena finds a unique way to attain the hand of Bertram.

At the time the King of France is deathly ill, suffering from a fistula. Helena possesses a secret prescription given to her by her father prior to his death. As Helena tells the King:

“Ere twice the horses of the sun shall bring
Their fiery torcher his diurnal ring...
...What is infirm from your sound parts shall fly,
Health shall live free, and sickness freely die.”

In other words, Helena, promises the King that her remedy can restore him to full health in just two days. Helena asks only one favor in return for performing this wondrous cure:

“Then shalt thou give me, with thy kingly hand,
What husband in thy power I will command:
Exempted be from me the arrogance
To choose from forth the royal blood of France,
My low and humble name to propagate
With and branch or image of thy state:
But such a one, the vassal, whom I know
Is free for me to ask, thee to bestow.”

The King promises that if Helena is able to cure him, he will give her the hand of any man she chooses, be he rich or of noble lineage. Sure enough Helena's cure restores the King to full health, and out of gratitude he fulfills his part of the deal. As might be expected Helena chooses the hand of Bertram, but is surprised at his response. Bertram marries her to please the King but he is highly irritated with Helena and feels that it is a dishonor for him to marry her. He takes her back to his mother's home but immediately departs to fight in the Tuscan wars leaving a parting note:

“When thou canst get the ring upon me finger, which never shall come off, and show me a child begotten of thy body that I am father to, then call me husband; but in such a then I write a never.”

Not only will Bertram never give Helena the ring, but he has also sworn that while he has wed her he will never bed her. While Helena has achieved her goal of marriage to Bertram it is an empty victory, essentially widowhood with a living husband. Bertram incurs the censure of all who know him. From the King to his own mother. All see Helena as a virtuous bride that Bertram should be happy to accept. But Bertram refuses to change his position.

Meanwhile Helena leaves her new mother-in-law's home and travels in disguise to the Florentine region where Bertram is fighting. There she meets up with an old Widow and her daughter Diana. From them she learns that her husband has been amorously soliciting Diana, intent upon corrupting “the tender honor of a maid.” Helena reveals to Diana and her mother that she is, in fact, the husband of Diana's adulterous suitor. Together Helena and Diana concoct a plan that will work to both their advantages.

When Bertram tries to woo Diana she arranges a nighttime rendezvous on the condition that he give his ring to her. At first Bertram is hesitant, but led of by his lust he gives his ring to Diana, and then proceeds to his encounter. Little does he realize, but his own wife is taking the place of Diana, and he sleeps with her and leaves without ever catching on. Now Helena has both the ring and has conceived a child, fulfilling the conditions that Bertram required before he would call Helena his wife. In addition Helena gave Bertram a ring of her own, one that she knew that others would recognize as her own.

Bertram leaves Diana behind, and returns to court. Immediately the King notices Helena's ring on his hand. First Bertram denies receiving the ring from Helena, earning the King's disfavor, but he is completely disgraced when Diana enters the court and tells them Bertram had an affair with her. At the last moment Helena enters the court and reveals the trick that she used to gain both Bertram's ring and his child. Bertram responds, “I'll love her dearly, ever, ever dearly.”

Final Analysis

“All's Well that Ends Well” is a reasonably interesting play. The plot is, however, rather unrealistic. Although Helena's tricks to gain Bertram as her husband are entertaining, the ending of the play seems rushed and hardly satisfying. For one thing, “All's Well that Ends Well” portrays Bertram as a very dishonorable man, eager enough to sleep with another woman. After seeing this first hand, I doubt that Helena would be quite as satisfied in him. Secondly, if Helena's first attempt to gain Bertram only enraged him, then why the sudden change of attitude? At the end of the play Bertram suddenly loves Helena and everything works out perfectly. “All's Well that Ends Well” may have a happy ending, but it seems a little stretched, simply for the purpose of making it “end well” in accord with the play's title.

“All's Well that Ends Well” by William Shakespeare is a play that has a great introduction and climax, but the ending of the play seems weak in comparison. Nevertheless, this a piece of literature that you should experience.

Inkweaver Rating:

Plot

Characters

Presentation

Overall



Your Rating:
Inkweaver Review 2008-11-08T15:18:00-06:00

16 replies so far. What are your thoughts?

Sadie said...

I love Shakespeare. I haven't read this one, though. My favorite is 'Much Ado About Nothing'. This one sounds good - I'll have to check it out. :)

NathanKP said...

I too love Shakespeare. I recently received a volume that contains all of his collected works. I did enjoy "Much Ado About Nothing," so I'll have to write a review of it eventually.

NathanKP

Anonymous said...

Wow Nathan! You have very good information here! Very niche and very well-done! I love the story Shakespeare but I am also intrigued on its mysteries. Did you hear of the controversy of Shakespeare?

Some believed William Shakespeare was not well-educated enough for the language of their times, and had merely helped to make sure that the stories passed to him was published.

A good read here if you wanna check it out: http://www.shakespeare-oxford.com/?p=38

NathanKP said...

Thanks Kelly!

I had heard about the idea that William Shakepeare didn't actually write some of his plays, but I don't know if I believe it. As a writer myself I've always looked up Shakespeare as a great writer. :)

I'll have to check out that link.

Anonymous said...

When I was in college we watched theater plays as requirements for our Literature subject. This is one of the plays we watched.

NathanKP said...

I'm sure you must have enjoyed seeing the play, rather than just reading it.

Thanks for commenting.

Nathan

Anonymous said...

I was on your site looking for a way to request a book review. Can't find one. After seeing that you rated Shakespeare a 3 star, I might be scared to have you read my work. Check out my stuff at www.DonaldJamesParker.com if you'd like to check out what I have to offer. If you want to review one, leave me a guestbook entry. Best of luck with your review blog. This is really cool.

NathanKP said...

Thank you Donald. I will have to think about adding a submit feature, but right now I'm mostly focusing on literature for young adults. Anyway, I'll definitely consider reviewing your work. I signed your guestbook and left my email. Please contact me at that address.

Nathan

Anonymous said...

an aduld story
i found nothing interesting in it and feeling
cheated

Anonymous said...

I was mοгe than hаppy to find this page.
I nеed to to thank yоu foг yοur time for thiѕ fantastic read!
! Ӏ dеfinitely loved evеry little bit of it аnd І have
yоu boοkmarked to cheсk out nеω things іn youг web sitе.


My site ephedrine heart

Anonymous said...

Many adult ADHD patients suffer from forgetfulness and since they administer the medications themselves, they often forget
that they have already ingested their dose for the day thereby ingesting another
set which can cause overdosing. On the other hand some adults with ADHD have the opposite problem.
Let's start your exploration with a beautiful parable I use in the Toxic Relationships Self-help
Kit: Love them, but LEAVE them.

my blog: free adult screensavers

nill said...

From many days I am looking for a writer who will collect information from various sources like books, magazines, movies or series of activities that will help me to complete my essay done. It seems to be effective for me to get help from there. http://www.articlerewriteservice.net/professional-article-rewriting-services-online/ gets same results information here.

keo said...

There is an exact statement. I agree with it because I have got the results they way the statement given. I was benefited from taking the social psychology statement. I ranked myself in the first place. www.verbchecker.com/verb-tense-checker-online-professional-help more information you can get here.

Lesley Jocelyn said...

Most of the faculty members is said to use MLA format to students. My friends come to my house to get the idea about this. I haven't also known to this. After seeing this, I will let him about this process and format. www.punctuationcorrector.net/check-my-punctuation-online-free-tool views this link to gather resources that you are really looking for.

stoya riley said...

This site is very helpfull for those people who love reading the different books and interview of different writers and stars of media. I am also reading this book name of "It,s a Mall word after all "written by Janette Rallison. The writing method of the Janette Rallison is very excellent in the word of literature.You can find here more beautiful and meaningful stories of life.

stoya riley said...

You have a great sources of reading stories but I read and like the story of "A Week in the Woods,” by Andrew Clements".I recommend this book and get more info na fun from this story. I feel more attraction and impressive behavior of all the characters of this story. Chelmsley faces a difficult situation and handle this situation in an attracted way.